Saturday, May 3, 2014

What if

Has it ever occurred to you what would happen if we jumped at once? And by "we" I mean ALL THE PEOPLE on the planet Earth.
Well, I've recently happened to watch the video that answered this small brain-teaser. Before I simply answer the question, let's look at the number of all the people currently living on Earth...there are more than 7 billion of us now. Even though it seems like a huge number, if we put it into another perspective it does not seem as huge after all. For example, if we took all the people and put them in one place with the population density of NYC, we would all fit into the area of the state of Texas. What's even more surprising and shocking, if we all stood shoulder to shoulder (right next to one another), we could fit into the area of Los Angeles! Cool huh?! The area of merely 500 square miles would contain the entire world's population.. man, that must be a cool sight to be held!!
Ok, so then we would jump..what would happen?! It was kind of disappointing for me to find out that NOT MUCH really.. even though it's unbelievable that such a massive crowd jumping at the exact same moment wouldn't cause an earthquake or anything, it does make sense. Comparing to the mass of our planet, our weight (and yes, even our weight times 7 billion) is negligible and nominal.
Still, our jump may not cause anything significant, but there would be some repercussions. As we would jump, we would push the planet under our feet away from us a TINY amount.. Sadly, after the jump, we  return to where we started and so does the Earth... so concerning the planet's position, we don't really change anything..
Ugh, the Earth is just unbreakable!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God, what a hilarious post! =D It's funny to guess what would happen if each person on the Earth jump... What is more interesting, how the scientists or researchers were able to measure it? This is unbelievable as well, in my opinion. It simply is possible to measure such experiments, I suppose. Anyway, as you mentioned the density of population, I thought the situation to be worse. The number of 7 billion is not that bad, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vsauce right? :D I’ve recently seen all Vsause videos, thanks to your recommendation, so I had already known the answer, even before I read your blog post. What a smart-pants I am, huh?! :D To be honest, the answer really didn’t surprise me because as you’ve suggested, the weight of 7 billion people is really nothing in comparison with the huge mass of our planet. But cool topic, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting :3 :D

    ReplyDelete