The story starts at the funeral of Walt's wife. Her last wish was for Father Janovich to convince Walt to go to confession and he is determined to keep that promise which of course isn't easy since Walt isn't really the kind of person who would be interested in his eternal salvation. This conflict of religion is resolved toward the end of the movie when the Father Janovich and Walt find some common ground.
As the story goes on, another conflict comes along. A kid from Walt's neighborhood attempts to steal his beloved car. This is a cultural conflict because the kid is not an American (he is Asian) and that gives Walt an excuse ho hold it against him.
Obviously I can't describe the whole story here, so you'd better go and watch it yourself.
Lastly, to this day I remember the last scene from the movie where the lawyer reads Walt's will and where we learn that he leaves his car to Thao - the same Asian kid who tried to steal it once. I love those words, both funny and touching.
Awwwww I love this movie! :) I like the fact that even the old grumpy Korean War veteran is able to put aside racial prejudice and build a strong and healthy relationship with his Asian neighbor, even stronger than the relationship that he has with his own family. Also love the car by the way :D And the ending is just brilliant as the rest of the movie! I’m gonna watch it again pretty soon…
ReplyDeleteExcellent choice.. I should have written about it myself, grrr. But I guess it's too late now. It's a really good example of contrast - young and old / east and west. Loved the plot and Clint's performance. And it also contains the best joke ever - "A Mexican, a Jew, and a colored guy go into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, "Get the f*ck out of here." :D
ReplyDeletehaha! Brilliant. Love that joke
DeleteSarcasm detected :D
DeleteI love your choice, Gran Torino is just dope! I had been quite doubtful about watching this movie before I read a review of this movie...I had just thought that it's a movie about cars and racing :D! Clint was just awesome and i love the way he was getting rid of his prejudice towards the asiats living next door!!
ReplyDelete