As I was browsing the Internet today, I came across this interesting statistics that caught my attention. According to it, the number of online population and therefore the number of online consumers is growing each year. In 2011 the global online population numbered 2 071 million people and three years later, in 2014, the number amounted to 2 321 while the biggest growth was chalked up in Asia, Asia Pacific and Oceania with the difference of 111 million people.
Speaking about the online shopper demographics, women are in the lead which I was expecting. What I was not expecting was the slight difference of only 2 percent between men and women.
The reasons why online shoppers shop on the Internet are in my opinion very reasonable and I can identify myself with the most of them - the items 'low prices', 'shopping convenience' and 'easy to buy' and 'time saving' would be my top four. On the other hand, here are the reasons why people would rather go to the actual shop than buy anything online: 33% men and 38% women feel the need to touch the real product before they make a purchase. Shipping costs and privacy concerns put off up to 30% men and 33% women. Worries caused by possible refund or returning of a product discourage 27% men and 25% women of all the online shoppers.
Finally, there is a section that came as quite a surprise to me and that is online retail spending shares. Women shoppers lead in the most of goods categories out of which the most surprising for me is definitely 'video games and console' whereas men outnumber women in purchases of electronics and events and movie tickets.
Here is the statistics, take a look :)

Nice graphs! when i go shopping online i always try to research on any kind of credibility to the store and/or it's owner. And it's true that every time i try to order something of a bigger value i'd love to be able to touch and feel the thing beforehand on my own, but unfortunately that's part of the risk in ordering online. they should come up with a tech that can tell you if it's all worth it or not ;)
ReplyDeleteThese graphs show so much interesting information. For example I couldn't believe the fact that the highest number of online shoppers is in the age group 50-64 and that there are a lot of shoppers in the group 65+. I have always thought that older people are rather negative towards new technologies and ways… but this survey shows that they’re quite favourable to online shopping. What do you think about this one?
ReplyDelete